PhD Student and other roles.

With regards to the PhD I am doing, it is part of my pursuit to impart my knowledge and experience to others and contribute to the body of human knowledge.

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Lightening Talk at the Collaborative Workshop 2014, Oxford

You’ve reached this page because you saw my presentation at the Collaborative Workshop 2014 in Oxford, or by browsing the web, so in short, if you’re willing to be contacted to do an on-line Q-sort at some point over the coming weeks, then please register your interest; send me an e-mail via the box on the right window pane, or click on the ‘Contact Me’ button on the left, or just e-mail me directly by clicking here .

Now the long, i.e. why I am asking for YOUR participation, as a scientist, and/or an archaeologist.

As per my previous blog entry I have been personally visiting archaeologists, or more occasionally, have had them visit me for Q-sort. However I need about 30 participants to improve the validity of my research, though one of the advantages of q methodology is that small rich analysis makes up for a relatively small number of participants, i.e. it is more qualitative than quantitative for data gathering, with quantitative techniques applied to the qualitatively obtained data.

All this entails is the ranking of 58 statements depending on how agreeable or disagreeable they are. This should take no more than an hour to complete, but more than 30 minutes in most instances. Obviously I will eventually publish my results, with the data available on request, anonymised of course. The following is what the current prototype looks like.



Additionally to further broaden my research, the addition of Q-sort survey data relating to attitudes to data sharing from scientists, who lie outside the archaeological community will provide two major benefits. In the first instance it will provide an insight into whether issues that are identified as pertinent barriers to information sharing within the archaeological community are confined to their community, or whether they are issues common to other scientific disciplines. The other benefit will be that it will be useful standalone study into issues that hamper the sharing of scientific data.

To this end I’m in the process of going ‘on-line’ with the Q-sorts I am conducting. It is a work in progress (a JavaScript site I am putting together) that I hope to complete soon, within the coming weeks. Additionally there will be a re-working of the questions that are currently specific to archaeology, e.g. references to ‘dig data’ etc.

For reference or those who those who haven’t seen the slide I presented, here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment